Geluidforum.nl forum index
 Adverteerders 

FAQFAQ   ZOEKENZOEKEN   GebruikersGebruikers   Registreer (NIET verplicht!)Registreer (NIET verplicht!)   ProfielProfiel   InloggenInloggen

Small room ratio calculations

Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats reactie    Geluidforum.nl forum index -> Akoestiek
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
Today's Guest
Gast

BerichtGeplaatst: Di Apr 02, 2013 6:03 pm    Onderwerp: Small room ratio calculations Reageer met quote

What started as a search for a good practice room design is ending up to be an interest to create a dynamic calculation comparing various established methods. In particular I’m trying to replicate the geometric modal approach by M.M.Louden (71) results as well as the Cox&Antonio (2000) paper using the image source model approach. Off to a bad start with the unfortunate reply from my research librarian: "Your request has been cancelled by the interlibrary loan staff for the following reason: We have exhausted all possible sources. No library is able to supply this item." I have essentially given up on tracking down Louden’s paper and I’m trying to piece together what I can from online forums such as this one! I have been able to get a fairly good qualitative reproduction of the results but the quantitative results are off. At this point I assume details are important as I have noticed significant variations in the standard deviation of the modal spacing’s as a function of the frequency cutoff as well as the choice of “spacing metric”. If anyone has some ideas, comments, anything I’d appreciate it!! At this point I’m just about ready to try anything! Wink
Naar boven
Geluidforum
Site Admin

Sinds: 2-3-2006

BerichtGeplaatst: Di Apr 02, 2013 7:30 pm    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

I Googled this: http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=3148

Eric is a regular contributor here, so he'll most likely be able to explain more!

The article should be in Acustica issue 25-5 (1971)
Bekijk gebruikers profiel
Today's Guest
Gast

BerichtGeplaatst: Wo Apr 03, 2013 6:38 am    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Success!! My librarian came through and somehow did manage to get me a copy of Louden’s paper despite the bleak outlook. It is amazing how the details can fix everything! The key thing was to use the Rayleigh asymptotic formula of eigentones as a reference/ideal spacing when finding the standard deviation of modal frequency spacings. Reproducing Louden’s results was then trivial. I was surprised though to find much lower standard deviation than Louden once the gird mesh size was reduced. This is certainly meaningless when ratios have multiple decimal places but I wonder if anyone is aware of some smoothing/interpolation scheme that is suitable? A gradient weighted smoothing seems appropriate…. I still would love to hear from folks who have experience with this approach and can give me some further insight!

Now, time to address the Cox paper and the image source model. Still no progress on building the proper energy impulse response so I can FT to the power spectrum. Help would be great here as well!
Naar boven
Eric Desart
Expert

Sinds: 18-5-2006

BerichtGeplaatst: Wo Apr 03, 2013 8:46 am    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Can you upload this Louden Paper somewhere please?
Naar boven
Greatday

Sinds: 3-4-2013

BerichtGeplaatst: Wo Apr 03, 2013 7:36 pm    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Eric Desart schreef:
Can you upload this Louden Paper somewhere please?

Eric,

Thanks for all you valuable hard work which you have posted which I have ran into and have been referencing extensively. While I would be glad to make the paper available to you (I deem your previous work puts you well within fair usage) I’m hesitant to openly post copyrighted materials. Perhaps it would be useful to write a short summary with some of the main results/details?

PS: I finally got a username!
Naar boven
Eric Desart
Expert

BerichtGeplaatst: Do Apr 04, 2013 6:31 am    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Greatday,

Can you email me that paper if Geluidforum (the administrator of this site) emails you my personal email address?

With many thanks ...
Naar boven
Greatday

Sinds: 3-4-2013

BerichtGeplaatst: Do Apr 04, 2013 6:55 am    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

No problem, will do!
Naar boven
Eric Desart
Expert

BerichtGeplaatst: Do Apr 04, 2013 11:33 am    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Geluidforum,

Wil of kan jij mijn emailadres door emailen aan Greatday?
a.u.b.?
Naar boven
Geluidforum
Site Admin

Sinds: 2-3-2006

BerichtGeplaatst: Do Apr 04, 2013 11:56 am    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Al gebeurd! / Done!
Naar boven
Eric Desart
Expert

BerichtGeplaatst: Vr Apr 05, 2013 11:27 am    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Greatday schreef:
No problem, will do!

Greatday & Geluidforum

With many thanks for the articles and help ..... Much appreciated

Naar boven
Berichten van afgelopen:   
Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats reactie    Geluidforum.nl forum index -> Akoestiek Tijden zijn in GMT + 2 uur
Pagina 1 van 1

Ga naar:  
Je mag nieuwe onderwerpen plaatsen
Je mag reacties plaatsen
Je mag je berichten niet bewerken
Je mag je berichten niet verwijderen
Ja mag niet stemmen in polls
Geluidforum.nl topic RSS feed